West Lothian Armed Forces Day 2014 is being planned to take place in Livingston Town Centre on Saturday 21st June, from 12:30pm to 5pm.
A number of items are planned for the day, including, but not limited to:
• PARADE – marching-off from West Lothian College at 12:30pm;
• SERVICE – including the raising of the AFD Flag and the presentation of cheques from funds raised at the WL AFD 2013 event;
• ENTERTAINMENT – including a Tri-Cadet Force Challenge, some music, and demonstrations by 205 (Edinburgh) & 225 (Stirling) Field Hospitals, 105 Royal Artillery, 243 Provost Company RMP and the Cadet Forces;
• VETERANS VILLAGE – including information stalls from RBLS, ASAP, SVA, Scottish War Blinded, Cadet Forces, Help for Heroes, RNA, ABF – The Soldiers’ Charity, and RAFA;
• ACTIVITIES – including arts & crafts, Field Post Office, inflatable assault course, and some static displays (military vehicles and weapons); and
• BEATING THE RETREAT – started by the firing of the 4 o’clock gun to end the day’s event.
The Main Arena will be in/around the car park between the multi-storey car park & Debenhams, Livingston Town Centre.
COME ALONG, ENJOY THE ENTERTAINMENT & ACTIVITIES, AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
WHEN: Every Tuesday from 1800hrs to 2000hrs
WHERE: Braid House, Labrador Avenue, Howden, Livingston, EH54 6BU
A very informal get together for Veterans of the Tri-Services who live in the West Lothian area – all welcome.
Catch up with old muckers and meet new ones.
Have a brew, pull up a sandbag, share stories and adventures.
You’ll be surprised who lives in your area.
COME ALONG OR FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: OZZY ON 01506 446 527 or 07795 200 271
We are excited to pass on this amazing offer from Dr Andrew Birley at Vindolanda near Hadrian’s wall.
Andrew and his team are really keen to get some WIS and veterans over to help with their excavation work. They run two week courses for anyone and everyone who wants to apply and even get people coming from overseas ... some as far as China and Australia. The courses are being offered FREE to you (normally £120) but it is down to the individual to find and pay for accommodation, food etc, though drinks (hot and cold) are provided. HOWEVER:
The main points are:
- free of charge, on top of the excavation you would also get; tee-shirts, fleeces, and years membership to Vindolanda trust
- you have to do full 2 weeks (this is non-negotiable) Monday – Friday 0930-1630 and the weekend off
- Andrew would need 2 or 3 weeks' notice of people coming so please get in touch ASAP
- you would need to find and pay for your own accommodation (nearest army bases are Spadeadam, Bersie (?) and Otterburn)
The dates are fixed and are as follows:
- 7th to 18th April
- 21st April to 2nd May
- 5th to 16th May
- 19th to 30th May
- 2nd to 13th June
- 16th to 27th June
- 7th to 18th July
- 21st July to 1st August
- 4th to 5th August
- 18th to 29th August
- 1st to 12th September
If you are at all interested please let us know ASAP and we will put you in contact with Andrew. As always any serving WIS must get permission from their PRO and doctors clearance.
Please be advised that due to the location of the dig, it is not accessible for wheelchairs.